Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Trash Trucks and Dogs…

What is it about trashmen and dogs? Maggie woke me up at seven this morning sitting outside my bedroom window barking at the trash truck in the freezing cold. “No Maggie, no!” I exclaimed as I buried my face in the pillow. I didn’t have to be up for another hour. Maggie considers that trashcan to be our property and it tears her up when they mess with it. The trash truck came rolling down the street and Maggie barked with renewed vigor. I got out of the bed and sleepily collapsed in the recliner in the den. I then got on my tablet to check the news and what happened last night while I slept.

I was telling Tracy this morning about what Maggie did.

“We love Maggie,” she said. “But sometimes she can act bad at times. It is no different than Wheezy jumping on the bed at 6 am making biscuits, purring up a storm and wanting me to pet her and rub behind her ears.”

I laughed. What we do for our pets.

It Was a Little Shaggy Haired Mutt…

Animal control brought in a little dog today.I was glad we didn’t have a truckload of dogs as can sometimes be the case. The dog was docile and let me pick him up and carry him back to the kennels. The animal control truck hadn’t been gone an hour when a lady walked into the building.

“I’ve lost my dog,” she said. “Could I look and see if he is in the kennels?”

“Sure,” Mrs. Barbara said. “Andrew will help you.”

“You must be worried sick,” I told the lady empathetically.

“There’s my little Sadie!” The lady exclaimed loudly after looking into a few kennels.

The dog went nuts barking and showing affection – entirely glad to see his owner.

“He’s been gone a week. Can I take him home? I am so overjoyed to find him.”

Tears streamed down the lady's cheeks.

“Be my guest,” I replied. “I love a happy ending.”

I opened the kennel and handed the dog to the lady.

“Thank y’all for being so nice and helpful!” she said. 

The woman walked out of the building cradling the dog in her arms. It is moments like this I live for where I volunteer.

No comments: