Sunday, November 04, 2018

Look What the Cat Drug In…

howlingWait! I don’t have a cat! Charlie and Papa were extra early with supper tonight. Charlie came pulling up to the curb around 6:30 pm. It caught Maggie and I both off guard. Maggie put on a good show of affection once we realized Charlie’s car was here.

“The time change has gotten me all mixed up,” Charlie said. “Your daddy was ready to go so we just headed out early.”

Usually, they get here in between eight and nine.

“Maggie’s singing,” I told my father as he played the piano.

“You sing about Jesus, girl!” dad hollered at Maggie as he continued to play.

♫♫ Tell Me a Story About Jesus ♫♫

Maggie was just a howling away as my father played and sang a pious hymn.

Charlie was in my kitchen being a busybody gathering all my trash and empty mayonnaise jars. He also checked my heating and air filter to see if it needed changing.

“It will make your blower motor run hot and hard if you don’t change it regularly,” Charlie told me.

“I can’t believe you fixed that television,” dad said after he finished the hymn he was playing. “I’ve forgotten how good a picture it has.”

“I know,” I replied. “Doesn’t it look good? That’s the nicest television I have ever owned.”

I showed him the part I replaced and he told me to show it to Charlie as well.

“I told your brother yesterday that you could have made a good living doing that kind of thing,” my father told me.

Maggie and I were sad to see them go. The house goes from 90 miles an hour to dead quiet when they leave. It is as if the very essence of life is sucked out of my home. They both had meals to eat as well and we can’t forget Horsefly’s chicken tenders. That’s the whole reason we do this every Sunday morning and night.

No comments: