Monday, September 21, 2015

As I Pontificate About Grocery Night…

Walmart Market Broadway Camino Seco 012515 (2)This is Monday mind you, grocery day, and I still had food left from last Monday. This trend is proving very promising. This has happened two weeks in a row.  For lunch, I ate my last frozen meal which was a Marie Callender’s chicken and shrimp in a creamy, cheesy sauce with fettuccini.  Supper was two packs of cream cheese and chives on Captain’s wafers. Usually, I am starving by now by mismanaging my grocery allotment for the week.  This, in turn, leads me to buy fast food and “live outside my means” as my father like to put it.  One of these days I am going to have enough money to eat a porterhouse steak every night for supper.  Harrumph!

My new soup plan is working out really well.  I will get more chunky soup tonight except the Progresso brand is better than Campbell’s I have learned. They have more traditional chunky soups to choose from.  I tried some of Campbell’s “pizza” soup and it was interesting and weird to say the least.  I will not buy that again. I do not want Jimmy crack corn chowder.  I just want some simple creamy and chunky chicken noodle soup – soup you can eat with a fork.

Photo credit:   http://www.helloken.com/2015_01_01_archive.html

The Grocery Shopping Progress Report…

2014-01-16-bum2I just called mom for my nightly check-in a moment ago.  Mom and I speak every night most days about this time.

“Your daddy's had some wine and he is asleep in his recliner,” mom told me. “That darn NPR is on the radio. We never get to listen to what I want to.”

That never bodes promising for a 9:00pm egress to the grocery store.

“Go over there and poke him,” I told my mother.

“You come over here and poke him,” my mother replied balking and laughing.

Now, my father drinking wine is a relatively new phenomenon that his frou frou cousins taught him to do.  Last year, I don’t ever remember him drinking wine.   He drinks the wine in these little plastic cups to meter it out so as not to drink too much.  He never seems drunk, but I can still smell it on his breath many nights.

Photo credit:    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thrillist/ranking-the-top-5-bum-win_b_4610498.html

2 comments:

glittermom said...

Some of the thicker ones like beef you can put over rice or noodles for more of a hardy meal.

Gin said...

I'm a "from scratch" cook, but I will buy one soup...Progresso Chicken Cheese Enchilada...to have for emergencies when I don't have time to put a soup together. It's an honest keeper as far as canned soups go.