Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Zero Prestige Points with Me…

Quiet-Day-Sleeper-Inside-Sign-SE-5139

I had just crawled into my wonderfully comfortable bed. It was still warm as Maggie had been in my spot near the window for hours overnight.   I got myself situated under the covers after turning the air conditioning down to 76° degrees – my perfect sleep temperature. I sleep with one hand under my face and my other hand in a fist under my neck.   I could feel sleep’s horizon slipping towards me when Maggie began to growl at the foot of the bed. I was in the middle of a wonderful daydream – a dream that I grew up with what I now know about life and how different my life would then be.

The growling intensified until Maggie was outright barking loudly and violently.  Someone was at the front door and it wasn’t friendly visitors.  There was a loud knock and then someone said “Hello” really loudly.  I covered my head with my covers hoping they would go away and they finally did.  Maggie let loose her final vicious bark 20 minutes after this rigmarole began.   The whole process left me sleepless, though.  Pumping with adrenaline, I sat back down in front of this computer bleary eyed and half asleep.

1 comment:

Rita said...

I live in a neighborhood with many very nice homes, and downhill from there. I live on the edge of the hood. I have had people knock on my door, night and day, wanting a hand out. I stopped answering my door and put a note on it that if I wasn't expecting them, I wouldn't be answering the door. Works for me and I have not had any knocks on my door since I put my note up.