Friday, September 11, 2015

Let’s All Drink, Smoke, and Be Merry…

581_lMy new neighbor is a very strange and very interesting creature.  Since he moved into Joyce’s house weeks ago, all he does is sit on the carport and drink beer and smoke cigarettes all day every day. He’s developed quite a smoker’s hack and I can hear him cough from my computer room.  He’s been doing this for weeks.  He will occasionally go for a beer or lunch run, but mostly he is sitting in his chair on his carport sunup and sundown.  He doesn’t go inside until about 10 or 11pm.  I assume to sleep.

I awoke about 7am as dawn arrived this morning and looked out into the predawn dark through the kitchen window and there he was already in his comfy chair for his day with the carport light lighting the way.

“There is something very strange about your neighbor,” Charlie told me last Sunday night. “I don’t think he is right in the head.”

“I know,” I replied. “I try not to gawk and I mind my own business. He always waves hello and I reciprocate.  He seems to be a nice guy.  He is quiet as a church mouse thankfully.”

“He must have agoraphobia,” my father chimed in forever the armchair psychiatrist. 

Normalized Sleeping schedule…

It seems I am on a much more normal sleeping schedule now.  I went to bed at 11pm last night and woke up at around 7am this morning. That’s a good eight hours of sleep and much more aligned with what normal people do. Whatever normal is.

photo credit:   http://amhistory.si.edu/militaryhistory/collection/object.asp?ID=80

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe your neighbor is lonely ? Sitting outside is his way of staying in touch with the world. Or maybe he's not allowed to smoke in the house? Perhaps walking over with one of the dogs to say hello may make his day? Just say'in. Have a great day!

glittermom said...

Probably cooler sitting out if no AC...that doesn't make you wrong in the head..you shouldn't assume someone has mental problems...and what if he does...doesn't make you a bad person..right?

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:
e
Why not consider going over and visit your neighbor? If he is a nice fellow who ju wouldst likes being outside, he could become a friend. You and he may share similar interests. And, then when you look out your window his way, it wouldn't' feel like spying... instead you would be looking out for a friend.