Friday, September 25, 2015

The Cowardly Lion…

The-cowardly-lion-the-wizard-of-oz-4109278-550-456

My father pulled up to the curb last night about 9pm and I let Dixie out the front door to stretch her legs and to go greet my father at the curb.  She has quickly learned this is a special event the way Maggie carries on about such visits. Dixie is a totally cool dog as she won’t leave the yard and will come right back inside when called. I could never do this with Maggie.  Maggie would be booking it to Timbuktu if let her out the front door.

“Let me have access to your Facebook account and I’ll read the message,” my father told me last night as we sat on my couch and I was fretting over a certain matter. “I know you want to know what she wrote.”

We were in the middle of the medication ritual and I had just taken my last handful of medications.  Dearest Wendy had sent one last message after I cancelled our date and I was too cowardly to read it.  You know how the old saying goes.  “Ignorance is bliss.” 

“Maybe tomorrow night,” I told my father to get him off my back and to placate him somewhat.

We then fed and watered Maggie and Dixie as both dogs looked on hungrily. Dixie eats her kibble as if it were her last meal. My father complained about our cost of dog food. We’ve been having to buy the jumbo bags of Purina One. 

My father says the reason he doesn’t use Facebook is that he would be inundated with messages that he would feel obligated to reply to which is pretty honest.  He has just recently learned to use email due to his cousins’ urgings which I thought was quite a big step for him.  He has also recently learned how to text on his iPhone.    

5069ff85fb04d60a47000a63._w.1500_s.fit_I then asked my father what Helen was cooking today to change the subject.

“We are having a fried ham steak, cornbread, creamed potatoes, pear salad, black eyed peas, and fried okra,” my father told me. 

Beggars can’t be choosers as I often say, but my father is completely unimaginative with these meals.  I would be getting Helen to cook interesting items like casseroles, lasagna and spaghetti with meat sauce – let her spread her wings a bit and fly unfettered.  Dad did tell me that we were going to have meatloaf and mac and cheese next week – my favorite meal that Helen cooks.    

Photo Credit:  http://oz.wikia.com/wiki/Bert_Lahr

Photo Credit #2:   http://www.thekitchn.com/ingredient-spotlight-ham-steak-70973

2 comments:

glittermom said...

I doubt she would say anything bad...I'm sure she has compassion...don't always think the worst...

PipeTobacco said...

Sir!

I am feeling pleasantly jolly this evening as I have poured into my gullet quite earlier this evening an array of delightful stout and heavy lagers that were provided free to us as an incentive to attend a hhorrebdouslybad but important to the administration event tat the U (they typically lubricate us profeessors up with free booze if they want us to attend something inexplicably innane). But I was wondering if access the homeless guy of late? I cannot seem to get his site to open. Can you?

I was also wondering if, since you are enjoying Swisher Sweets, if you gave any thought to bringing out your pipe again? It is much more interesting and intense. And it is not a cigarette. I agree with your father that cigarettes ARE RATHER unpleasant. Pipes and cigars are a should different beast.

Don't worry about the friend. She (if a friend) will be patient.

PipeTobacco