Saturday, April 23, 2016

Big Birthday Bash Tomorrow and I am Already Nervous...

My father decided to put my sister's and my birthday together and have a big cookout tomorrow. Dad cooked a chocolate cake last night for my sister. Mom called me at 10pm and said icing was everywhere, but the cake turned out beautiful.

"There was icing on our clothes and all over the kitchen floor and counter," my mother told me.

Dad will also be barbecuing his signature barbecue chickens tomorrow afternoon which is one of my favorite meals he grills. I was fretting about what to wear and Charlie told me to just wash what I had on and wear that tomorrow. I was not about to wear an El Jimador Mexican restaurant t-shirt and sweat pants to the gathering.

"Do you want me to come trim your hair tonight?" Charlie selflessly asked as he sat in my parent's den.

"I'm fine," I told him with many thanks. "I will just wear one of my Auburn caps with an Auburn t-shirt and khaki pants."

"Watch out!" I told my father who sat next to me sipping on white wine. "The prodigal son is coming home tomorrow. I am seriously going to try and make it."

"I wish you would!" he exclaimed. "Your nieces and nephew ask about you all the time."

Normally, I would sit out on one of these gatherings, but I realized I am missing out on my brother's and sister's lives and their families by doing so.

Dad was kind and went ahead and gave me my medications after Charlie had left which will make for a pleasant afternoon and hopefully will quell the queasiness I am feeling right now.

Image Credit: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/131235/grilled-and-smoked-chicken-halves

2 comments:

glittermom said...

Do what makes you comfortable.

Rita said...

Good for you!

I have a theory. I think the more you did this, the easier it would get. I am an extreme introvert. I love to be home by myself. I went to kindergarten and did not speak to anyone, not even the teacher, who was a friend of my mothers and whose house I had been in. Then I became a Montessori teacher and had to give educational speeches a few times every year. At first, I was terrified. Now, psh. I don't know why, except maybe because I have done it so frequently, I have no problems with it. I had to be able to walk up to people, shake their hands, introduce myself, greet them and engage in conversation. It is like anything we do. The more we do it, the easier it gets.

I can tell you though, that there are settings where I am not comfortable due to the people who are there, and I cannot get away from them fast enough.