Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Derrière Beckons...

This morning I sleepily picked up the phone and dialed my father's cell phone number.

"My injection is this Thursday so you may want to go ahead and fill my prescription," I told him with a gravelly, sleepy voice.

"You're a good man, son," he said, sounding relieved. "I had forgotten all about it."

"Well, I always get in a mess mentally when we forget it," I replied.

It will literally take me several days to recover.

My father said he was getting it out of the pharmacy fridge and would fill it as soon as we got off the phone.

"See you tonight," my father said as I was telling him goodbye as well. 

I then called my mother to put my sodas on the back porch. Mom had the back door open which meant she was receiving visitors. I stayed a few moments and we talked awhile. Mom's like me. We just get lonely sometimes. Even introverts crave conversation at times -- conversations of the right kind that is.

"I have a new book reading friend," my mother told me cheerily. "She is my age and has just latched onto me. She is also a millionaire."

"I am happy for you," I told my mother with much sincerity.

"She's coming by to bring me more books today and I have some books for her as well."

That explained my mother being dressed and receiving this time of the day.

1 comment:

Summer said...

My grandparents lived in NC. It was explained to me that when the front door was open that the people inside were receiving. Where I live in NOVA, only a few houses have screen doors, so the front doors remained closed all the time. Which is probably a good thing as I doubt the people that live around me understand the meaning of an open front door. I miss the old southern traditions.