Friday, April 08, 2016

Calm Becomes Us...

I've been down at the tracks for a few hours. I didn't see one train, but I did watch a rail inspection car come whizzing by at a fast pace. That was unique.

I read on the internet that CSX Transportation has laid off a hundred workers. I hope this didn't impact our railroad traffic. Railroads went through a similar upheaval back in the nineteen seventies -- mergers galore and many companies had to rethink their business models.

Being down at the tracks is a quiet, calming, and cathartic experience for me. I have a lot of time between trains to think and organize my thoughts.

I also had a really fishy tin of sardines and some saltine crackers as my snack today. I always have to bring some kind of "fishing" food on my forays to the rails.

image credit:  http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1689865

We're in Good Hands...

Charlie called me today. He wanted to know what to get me for supper as he was directing the medication ritual tonight. Charlie always brings Maggie and I something good to eat and a giant soda on these occasions. I told him I would really love an Arby's roast beef sandwich for supper.

"No curly fries?" Charlie asked me with an air of incredulous-ness.

"Just a drink and a sandwich and I will be a happy soul," I replied to Charlie.

Dad always complains about Arby's being too expensive when we go there for our Sunday night supper. It is because mom and I insist on getting Rueben sandwiches.

No comments: