Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Neighborly Thing to Do...

I had been over at my parent's house a moment ago taking my medications. My father was in no shape to drive tonight. I pulled into my driveway and my good neighbor, George, walked over to talk to me as I was getting out of my car.

"I'll pay you for that wrought iron table and chairs on your screened-in porch," George told me.

"It was a gift to me from my friend, Charlie, and it is going to be a gift from your neighbor, Andrew," I told George. "I will bring them over Friday."

George looked excited and shook my hand very, very vigorously.

"Now, the chairs are rocking chairs," I told my friend.

"I was hoping they were," George replied, already in the know.

I walked inside to start this week's crossword puzzle with a little coaching from my father on the phone. I could not think of the capital, Kabul, of Afganistan to save my life. I knew where the Gobi desert was, though. It's a great place to find dinosaur fossils.

1 comment:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

I hope you and George strike up a good friendship! It is great for you to give him that table and chairs. Perhaps this Spring & Summer the two of you can sit in his back yard and talk and enjoy each other's company. I think it is very healthy for you to have friends that extend beyond just your family members! You of course have us all as your Internet friends, but I mean "in-person" friends too. They are very, very valuable!

If you get a chance, tell us more about George.

PipeTobacco