Friday, April 15, 2016

Boozy, He Was...

"Your father just jumped all over me," mom said on the phone crying pitifully.

We have a system due to my phone phobias that mom rings once and my father rings three times for me to call them back.

"What happened?" I asked very alarmed.

"It was after 9:30 and he still hadn't brought your medications so I got onto him," mom exclaimed with a sniffle. "I told him he should be ashamed for making you wait so long."

"Mom, it's not worth it," I told her. "Just stay out of stuff like that. I appreciate you trying to be my advocate, though."

"Well, you said you had a bad day and I wanted you to feel okay," my mother retorted with more sniffles.

"Bless your heart," I told her. "You take no mind of all of that and go to bed."

Dad came pulling up in front of my house at exactly 10:09 pm. The latest he has ever arrived. I had given up and had fallen asleep in my recliner with Forensic Files droning on the TV with Maggie asleep in the bed. Maggie came tearing out of the bedroom when I hollered, "Papa's here!" He reeked of booze as well and was also dressed haphazardly. We fed and watered Maggie, Dad took out the trash, and he was on his way home not before he doled out my medications.

No comments: