Thursday, May 19, 2016

Mama! I Don't Want to Play Grownup Anymore...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
Mom called me this morning and asked me if I wanted my Cokes.

"I need your help, though," she told me kind of clandestinely not wanting to completely reveal her disability.

"I will be over there in 5 minutes tops," I replied to her as I donned a jacket and headed for my car.

The skies were threatening rain something fierce.

I arrived at their house and mom had left the back door open. Mom couldn't bend over to get the Cokes in a bag and needed my help.

"Get you some of those cigars while you're at it," my mother told me. "Your daddy bought a whole bag of them across the river last night."

I was telling her how I told my father this morning I needed to debit another gallon of milk and he balked telling me I was drinking too much milk. Mom escaped back to her bedroom and got me $5 dollars out of her purse to go buy milk with at the Piggly Wiggly.

Mom also got busy making me two pimento cheese sandwiches for lunch. The pimento cheese was from that same deli downtown where my father had gotten that delicious chicken salad. The sandwiches were delicious as soon as they got creamy upon reaching room temperature.

1 comment:

Summer said...

I wish we had a decent deli around here. The ones we do have are just like the deli counters in the grocery store. Pressed meats and salads made in some far away factory. Bleh.