Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Part Time Work...

It is tentative, but I've been putting out feelers about part time work today. I have visited several stores around the Valley inquiring about employment.  I can work with disability. I just have to keep the money I make under a certain level and there won't be any penalties. I want a menial, simple job with little responsibility like stocking shelves for a few hours every morning and then going home.

The only catch? I have to have a valid copy of my driver's license.  Dad keeps it away from me just for this very reason. Originally, it was to deter visits to the pawn shop years ago when I first quit drinking.

The manager at Family Dollar and Fred's Super Dollar said they'd both put me to work in the morning if I just had a valid copy of my license to drive. The manager at McDonald's told me to apply online.

I have a copy of my license, but it expired in 2011. I do have a copy of my social security card so we are halfway there. I also have a copy of my birth certificate that my ex-wife gave me. Maybe I can get a new license down at the office in Opelika.

5 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Just get the license from your father. It is illegal to not have it with you when you drive. Tell him you need it.

PipeTobacco

Rita said...

What would happen if you were driving and got stopped? What is your dad's strategy for that? When does it expire? Maybe you can get a replacement. I know you hardly have any cash, but maybe you could get some together.

Christina said...

I've known you a long while, friend. I've seen this pattern repeat. Your addictive behaviors become obsessive, you want more control over your life, you seek out to work part time to gather money (ie: control) and you start drinking. And your life falls apart. I saw this happen to you 4-5 years ago. Also in the summer.

You've been obsessed with your medications and food for many, many months lately. Your problem is not lack of control, if I may say. Your problem is untreated addiction. There are 12 step programs, of course you know. I would suggest you spend your hours in a 12 step room rather than working in part time unproductive employment.

There is so much more to life than merely existing.

Summer said...

I have done a lot of hiring over the years. You do not need a valid license to get a job unless your job requires you to drive. You will need a valid picture ID which you can get at the DMV. The other requirements will be your SS card and birth certificate.

If your license is expired, take the test and get it back.

diana said...

Driving without your license in possession (if you have a valid license) is a fix it ticket, you simply appear before a judge and show proof of license and pay a small fee $10 and they mark it “fixed” if your license is expired and you are driving that’s a different story and more serious. Does your state require a license to obtain insurance? Are you insured? If so you can inquire from your insurance company what license number they have on file for you, simply tell them you have lost the license and wish to get it replaced. Once you have the number it’s very easy and can be done on line most times for a small fee. I think a part time job would be good for your self esteem Andrew and wish you much luck.