Saturday, June 20, 2015

The Devil is in the Icing!

30 delicious-chocolate-cake-pictures-you-love-21Mom and dad are making a chocolate cake tonight.  It is a collaborative effort.  Mom used to could make the most wonderful cakes, but she has fallen out of practice.  Dad just called me and told me to drive over and take my medications which is very unusual.

“We may be up to midnight making this cake,” he said over the phone. “You better come and get your medications now.”

It was music to these ears.  I jump at a chance to take them early.

When I arrived shortly, they already had the layers cooked and they looked deliciously moist, chocolaty and soft – like velvet.  Dad was slowly stirring a chocolate concoction on the stove in a big pan.

“This is supposed to be chocolate cake icing,” he said to me with a goodhearted jeer. “But it is not thickening.”

Mom just called me and said it was starting to glisten so that was a good sign.

If only my grandmother were here, she would make it look easy.  She must’ve made a hundred chocolate cakes in her time.   Mom was busy looking at other chocolate icing recipes they could try if that one didn’t work.

Dad had also cooked supper which I got a big plate of his delicious food that mom had prepared for me.  He had cooked a pork tenderloin, a vegetable medley, a tangy wax bean salad, onion and rice pilaf, and homemade biscuits. 

Photo credit:   http://www.sparkyhub.com/30-delicious-chocolate-cake-pictures-you-love/

No comments: