Friday, June 26, 2015

Fire in the Manor…

burnt_light_switch_by_specialoftheweek-d3g9rnlMom called me at 7am this morning.  I moaned as I was abruptly awakened by the raucous din of the phone and I walked out of my bedroom to answer it which resides in my hall. Maggie jumped off the bed and followed me.  She gets excited when the phone rings for some reason.

“I just turned on the light switch to my room and fire shot out from it,” she said urgently. “What should I do?”

Luckily, mom didn’t get burned.

“Go wake up dad!” I told her in an excitable manner. “It could burn down the house!”

I called mom back a moment ago and they have an electrician there now to fix the problem.

“He’s also going to fix our doorbell which has never worked right,” mom told me. “I am sitting in the dark because the power is off.”

“Is today Thursday?” my mother then asked over her cellphone.

“It is Friday morning, mom,” I told her flabbergasted. “Helen comes to fix dinner at noon.”

“What is Helen cooking?” she asked.

“All I know is that we are having fried pork cutlets and whole kernel corn,” I replied.

With that said, mom and I got off the phone.  I then immediately called mom back to remind her that her hair dresser’s appointment is at 1pm.  She thanked me profusely.

Photo credit:   http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/208728129

2 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

It has been a comedy of errors, so-to-speak! I am a bit drunk, but very jovially so. I have tried to post this comment four times now, so I apologize in advance if there are duplicates and somehow I did not see them post, but I do not think the did. But what I wanted to write was to ask about how old your parent's home is. If it from the late 70s it may have aluminum wiring which is very or fire prone...or conversely if it is from the 40s or earlier it may have ball and socket wiring which can also be a fire hazard. With what you said happened to your Mom, it may be a good thing to check on.

In regards to your Mom's accident, does she drink enough water? I ask because with her medicines, inadequate water can make those medicines build up and make one more clumsy and accident prone. Hell, I probably need to drink some water now myself. But, I think I'll go have another pipe instead (big grin)!

But, do check about the age of the wiring. It is better to be safe!!

PipeTobacco

Billy said...

Pipe Tobacco! How I have missed you!!!!