Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Tide Ebbs and Flows…

line-in-the-sandI had one of my good days today – a day in which I could be social and join in on all the family activities.  Dad had to babysit my niece and nephew again and implored me to come and help entertain.  A fear years ago, this would have struck severe fear into the heart of this old reclusive soul.  I took my iPad and we spent a good hour looking at clips from all the Star Wars movies I had downloaded onto it.

The kids and I then walked down into downtown West Point and got a waffle cone of ice cream.  We were all unanimous in that we picked rocky road chocolate as our ice cream of choice.

The kids marveled as we stepped into Georgia just a few feet down from my parent’s house. 

“You mean this line is Georgia?” my little nephew Grant asked.

“You are now in Georgia,” I replied.

Grant straddled the line and proudly said, “I am in Georgia and Alabama at the same time!”

It’s just like men to be always drawing lines in the sand.  Everything is dibbled up into parcels and parts – race and creed.

This morning, I had put some center cut pork chops in a dish to marinade them in Worcestershire sauce all day.  I grilled them on my little hibachi grill after the storms passed this evening.  I gave in and gave Maggie a pork chop and it was country come to town.   I also cooked a big batch of my mother’s beef lo mien to freeze for leaner times.  Like I’ve said in the past, it is either feast or famine around here many weeks.  

Photo credit:   http://www.scottcochrane.com/index.php/2015/01/22/the-power-of-drawing-a-leadership-line-in-the-sand/

3 comments:

Ivy Green said...

"It’s just like men to be always drawing lines in the sand."

At one time, I lived near the Mason-Dixon Line. Like your nephew, I would be amazed I could walk in both the North and the South at the same time! So if we could just accept we're all walking together in our one great indivisible nation, how might that be?

small said...

It's great that you did well with the kids, Andrew. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your time with them.

amelia said...

A bit of meat is good for Maggie. Not too sure about the Worcester sauce! I'm sure she loved it. Cook her some chicken and fish too!