Thursday, June 11, 2015

Thursday or Friday? A Game We Play…

Helen in kitchen[3]I just called my mother so she could put out my six sodas for the day.  I told her I was on my way out the door.

“What day is it?” my mother asked.

“It’s Thursday,” I replied.

“Are you sure?” mom then asked. “I have to get my hair done on Fridays.”

“I assure you it is Thursday,” I replied. “Johnny Otis had to work today.”

“I’ll put your Cokes out,” mom said and we got off the phone.

Helen was sitting out on the back porch smoking cigarettes when I arrived at my parent’s house.

“Hey Boo!” she said with a welcoming smile.

Oh, that cigarette smoke smelled so wonderful.  I think I got a nicotine buzz just standing next to Helen.

“What are you fixing mom for lunch?” I asked Helen.

“Your momma said she wanted some chicken salad,” Helen replied.

Oh, my heart leapt up into my throat at the prospect of a chicken salad sandwich.

“I’ll fix you two sandwiches and call you when they are done,” Helen told me.

I couldn’t thank her well enough.

2 comments:

amelia said...

I would love Helens mac and cheese recipe!!

Tee said...

HELEN! I just showed her photo to my husband. I said, "this is Helen, the pimento cheese lady."