Sunday, June 21, 2015

My Hopes Were Almost Hopelessly Dashed…

kgc-boxI called my father about the weather around 8pm.  I was also surreptitiously trying to find out how far along they were with the Sunday Night Chicken ritual.  My hopes were dashed when I heard my nephew talking in the background.  They were still in Alex City.  My heart sunk low as I hung up the phone.  It is an hour drive back from my sister’s house and it would probably be 10pm before dad and Charlie arrived with my medications.

I sat back down at the computer for awhile and Maggie then started to squeal and bark that a family member was here.  To my complete surprise and shock, it was Charlie with my medications and my grilled chicken dinner.

“I called your daddy and told him that was too long for you to have to wait,” Charlie said. “And I took upon myself to do the medication ritual and to go get your Sunday meal.”

I thanked Charlie extremely profusely over and over.  I was elated.  I was having a pity party when he arrived.  What a wonderful sound that Maggie made signaling the cavalry was here.

Charlie can’t come without cleaning.  I had already took out all my trash bags to the road so Charlie wouldn’t have to do that tonight.  Charlie still found things to do.  He swept my laundry room floor and we found my backdoor key that had been missing for months, and then he cleaned my glass stove top with some polish they recommend.  He was surprised I had the polish. I can thank mom for that as she got me some fearing I was going to scratch my stove.

There were a few more heartfelt hugs and Maggie got her lot of mucho attention.  Soon, Charlie was on his way to take Horsefly his evening dinner of chicken fingers.

Photo Credit:  http://qa.kfc.com/about/news/2013/061713.asp

1 comment:

small said...

Charlie has been so good to you through the years. I'm so glad you let him know how much he means to you. I know it must have been music to his ears.