Friday, October 07, 2016

Fourth Down and Very Long...


I guess I am the odd man out in my family other than my mother.  Mom's like me and shows no real interest in football.  Mom's biggest concern is my father's penchant for turning up the television volume to excessive levels on gameday. It can get really loud when a college football game is on.

"It drives me absolutely crazy it is so loud," mom will tell me with a shudder. "I can hear it as I lay on the bed trying to rest in the very back of the house."

Resting is my mother's roundabout guilt free way of saying she was sleeping.

Charlie told me tonight that he doesn't think he has ever sat through a whole game. He's too busy moving his antiques from one room to the other and from one of his houses to the next one.

"You don't watch any football?" my father asked tonight with and air of alarmed incredulous-ness to his voice.

In my defense, I do keep up with the scores online for the most part on game day. It is good small-talk fodder for when my father arrives the night of a game.

"Football is good for your soul," my father told me as he got up to leave tonight.


No comments: