Saturday, October 01, 2016

Samantha's Blockade...

"Mom? Can I come and get some Cokes?" I asked my mother over the phone.

Johnny Otis has long left for the ballgame. I knew this would be a hit or miss affair. The phone must have rung 10 times before she answered it. She was sound asleep and it was noon. Mom's going to have a very rude awakening when she runs out of Xanax in a few days. Her reserve supply is running out as well so she says.

"I will put them out on the porch," my mother half mumbled.

I had two choices for drinks this afternoon. Two large Sobe Citrus energy drinks are $1.51 with tax at the Circle K down the street, or I could rouse my mother and get my 6 allowed diet Cokes for the day. I chose the cheaper or less costly option even though the Sobe drinks are the much tastier of the two.

As I was leaving my parent's house, mom and dad's cat, Samantha, decided to take a nap in the middle of the driveway. She wouldn't get out of the way until I loudly honked the horn. It scared her so much that she went flying up into the woods and bramble on the far side of my parent's house.

The Charlie 4 pm Special...


The phone was once again ringing when I walked into my house a moment ago. Maggie knew something was up as she got excited and started to bark. It was our much revered Charlie.

"What do you want for supper?" Charlie asked. "I am bringing you something to eat and your medications before I take Horsefly to the Movies."

"Can I get the jumbo fish platter from Captain D's?" I bashfully asked Charlie going out on a limb.

"You sure can and you want the packets of malt vinegar as well?"

"Yes, thank you Charlie,"

No comments: