Thursday, October 27, 2016

Andrew and Maggie Dodge a Very Big Bullet...

Foremost, these Vet visits are extremely tumultuous and hard on my dearest Maggins. She will often release her bladder in my lap (I always have to carry a towel) and she shakes like a leaf. She will start to whine as soon as I get her in the car and it dawns on her what is about to happen.

Secondly, mom would have to drive us which would be terribly tumultuous for me or anybody as well. You can have quite a few "holy shit" moments with my mother driving. I always have white knuckles from grabbing the "oh shit!" bar above the window.

This morning, I was supposed to have Maggie at the veterinarian at 9 AM.  I averted disaster for Maggie, my mother, and I and told them I couldn't make it. Well, mom actually placed the call, but it was my decision. I am so hyper vigilant and worried that Maggie would escape us in a strange neighborhood and get in the highway down the road.

"So you want to skip it?" mom asked sounding very alert and awake.

Keep in mind that I wasn't trying to shirk responsibility.

"I just don't think I can go through all that today," I told my mother very honestly.

"We'll move it to next week," my mother, the secretary, told me over the phone sounding fully agreeable. "I am like you and would be devastated if something happened to Maggie."

Maggie still has a little bit of infection left in her left ear and she needs her nails clipped very badly again. I was hoping they would groom her as well.

3 comments:

diana said...

You don't have a dog carrier? What about a dog harness? Much harder to wiggle out of than a collar.

skinny minny said...

A dog carrier is a very good idea especially since she is a small dog and so nervous. But if you do that make sure you leave it out a the house all the time and open so she can go in and out if she wants...or she will see it and know and then hide from you. A harness is also a great idea.

Jen said...

Yes, a dog carrier is a miracle!

Our dogs are too big for one. I also HATE taking them to the vet. It brings up every anxiety. What if they get loose? What if another dog attacks them in the lobby? You get the idea.

I tend to cancel vet appointments once or twice before my husband takes over and deals with it. I sit in the car with one dog while he takes the other one in.

I HATE it.