Thursday, December 15, 2016

Pass the Baton...

http://storiesfromtheroad.typepad.com/
I've had a quiet, dreamlike, and pleasant afternoon mostly listening to old music minidiscs I've recorded in the den over the years and reading old Model Railroader magazines as well. Maggie spent her time policing pedestrians on the road in front of my house. The time just flies when I do that. Then?

Unleash the hounds...

It was good to see my father pull up in front of my humble abode this evening. Maggie's been sitting and looking out the den window and she alerted me to his arrival.

"Has your mother called you today?" my father asked after ingressing into my home. "I am hoping for a soft landing when I arrive at my garage. She's been suspiciously quiet today."

My father was heading home from the pharmacy he once owned. He worked 10 hours today and he gives me my medications every night on his way home from work and his day's off as well. I like it when he gives them to me after work as he seems much more prompt on those days. He is not mesmerized by the television -- the contraption he can barely tear himself away from.

"Mom called and asked me what the time was this afternoon," I replied. "I told her to look at the clock on her bedside table, but she said she didn't trust it."

Dad smiled generously and shook his head amusedly.

"Your mother's a pistol," my father replied. "Just like her mother was before her."

"Leta (mom's mother) could out-do them all!" my father said chuckling and laughing.

I always called Leta in the kitchen and my mother as well with an affliction called "bake and hate". They will get Christmas dinner ready, but they would resent you for it as well -- slamming kitchen cabinet doors disgruntledly. Dad loves for me to talk about that affliction as I was the grandchild who came up with the phrase.

"Charlies coming next," my father warned me with a grin. "Things are about to get busy at your house and you know he will have something good to eat as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you, old friend! I was just remembering the old days of Blogging. More independent. The only successful Blogs now are "Bloggers" hired by organizations (more like "In My Opinion" pieces). You, me, Kevin and some chick named Liz who celebrated "Little Joys" or LJs and had a tiny dog named, Sadie. All now, long gone. Except for you. Tell me, did you archive your original Blog? And is it to become a book? Or series? (The Piggly Wiggly days, the Manic/Walmart phase, George/Florine days, Pookie and Rosa.) So I was just 'memberin' and very much missing the olden times! So, in case I don't get back here before the Holiday, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Blessed Yule, OR WHATEVER! Love ya! sharyna

Anonymous said...

"Bake and Hate"! THAT is Christeen to a tee!! She insists on doing EVERYTHING herself but by the end, she has taken to her bed and is bitching about all the work! I tell her, "You can't bitch about something you volunteered for!"

Side note: Another twist on "Bake and Hate". My Auntie Eleanor (RIP) would get the turkey into the oven while drinking her "High Ball"s. Then she would pass out. When she woke up, the dinner was ready! She was our timer for years!

Sorry, I keep commenting....Love ya! sharyna