Thursday, September 29, 2016

Purple Hued Madness...

"Why do you never make eye contact with me when I am talking to you?" my father rather curiously asked tonight. "You've done so well lately and made so many strides in your life."

I felt like the shy kid at the end of the neighborhood Cul-de-Sac that watches his friends out his living room window - wanting to join in, but something was holding him back. Words can be shards -- like icy daggers in the back. I tend to avoid negativity.

Dad was regaling me in my brother's and sister's college follies this evening. They both went to Tulane together and graduated together. My brother got a degree in biomedical engineering, and my sister got a degree in anthropology. I got a degree in street smarts from George Jones University.

"I don't know," I replied wistfully. "Maybe it is a lack of confidence or me feeling subservient."

Dad followed me into my bedroom -- all the while talking loudly. He was very excitable tonight for a change even if he had to work all day. I was putting on my favorite purple sleep shirt. I was going to bed after I wrote this blog post. It has been forgettable day to say the least.

"I hate it that you feel that way," dad said. "Are you scared of me?"

"No," I told my overbearing parent, but that he did have control of a lot of things in my life.

No comments: