Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Alms for the Ails of the Ill…

I was sitting on my porch tonight listening to the din of the katydids as I browsed the internet on my iPad. (Isn’t Wi-Fi awesome?)  I was in what I call my zone. There was a cool breeze and it felt wonderful. Maggie sat on the floor at my feet with her ears constantly moving as she picked up sounds and things that caught her interest. My little companion was quiet tonight. No barking. Maggie loves for us to sit out on the screened in porch. My cellphone was sitting on my little wrought iron table next to me and it began to buzz.  It was almost midnight and my mother was calling.

“Do you ever feel anxious?” mom asked me in her first volley.

“All the time, why?” I replied in return.

Anxious is my true first name – Anxious Andrew.

“I feel so terribly anxious tonight,” she morosely said. “I feel like I am going to completely jump out of my skin.  Your daddy would just say it was a cry for attention, but I do feel really badly mentally.”

“You know I hate to tell you to take your Xanax, but tonight might be a good time to take a few,” I told her.

“I am going to take six Xanax, let them take effect, and then go to bed.”

“Sounds like a good plan,” I told my mother as my final reply. 

Mom told me good night and that she loved me. Hopefully, she took some medications and went to bed.  I hope she sleeps well and she should.

Hasta La Vista Fox News…

My high definition flat screen television gave up the ghost last night. I am not going to buy another.  I am going to get dad to cancel my cable TV service as I rarely watched television if at all. We now can get internet service unbundled and I want my father to get the 110 Mbps service which is $60 a month. I am going to have to play my cards very carefully to get this to come to fruition.  Dad is going to have a very hard time understanding what I am trying to accomplish. I can hear him shriek in horror at the thought of living without the television. 

3 comments:

glittermom said...

You really don't need cable.....you can get the news,movies,almost all shows right off the Internet.....plus you can hook an antenna on your tv and get all the local channels for free...I don't know how your reception is down there but up here the antenna works fine and the pictures good....they have even added some new channels for antenna TV....a lot of people are canceling cable...too expensive and don't even watch half the channels..

Tee said...

Andrew, try unplugging your TV for about 20 minutes, then plug it in and see if it will work. We thought our flat-screen TV had died and was about to replace it when my husband did the unplugging thing. IT WORKED! Also, we haven't had cable since 1982. We had rabbit ears, then when the digital went into effect we got the converters, worked fine. Now, we have graduated to a Leaf. We had one in our kitchen, but couldn't get one local station and the PBS stations. We just bought another Leaf with an amplifier. It didn't work. Well! We reinstalled the older, weaker Leaf back on the TV with the converter and started to moved the Leaf around. We got okay reception with it mounted on the wall by the bay window, but if my husband would hold the Leaf up to the window it worked well. We ended up installing the Leaf on the ceiling of the bay window. We get 30 stations, which are crystal clear in HD. On our flat-screen TV we have a Trex flat antenna that I have suspended on a spring adjustable curtain rod in the window. Our house is older and TV reception was terrible without the newer antennas. You can get both antennas at Walmart. The amplified Leaf, we just returned to Walmart, was about $60. The non amplified Leaf was around $49, best I recall. We have been very happy with the Leaf and flat antenna. Best part, NO CABLE BILL! Just the initial investment of the antenna(s). Sorry for the long comment.

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Six Xanax seems to not be a prescription level dosage, but one designed to accomplish intoxication, euphoria and a "drunkenness" of sorts. Is that the goal your mother has
?

PipeTobacco