Monday, August 31, 2015

Food and Drink–There is Plenty…

Chocolate-Chip-Oatmeal-Cookies-stack-580My preferred drug of choice in these later years is food.  Well, I was feeling terrible and miserable mentally this morning and called my father. I knew not to ask for pills for what ailed me.  I didn’t have anything to drink, but ice water, and there was little food left in the house as well. Maggie had more food than I with her muffins and Purina One. Traditionally, this would be prime drinking time years ago.  Give me a 12 pack of beer and call me in the morning and I would be fine if I didn’t get a DUI in the process driving to get more.

“Dad? Do you all have any food left from the reunion this weekend?” I timidly asked my father. “I need some tender loving care pretty badly this morning.”

I never know how my father will react in these kinds of situations.  He said all that Laura stuff had gotten me off kilter. 

“Come over and I will fix you up a care package,” he replied surprisingly warmly.

It was misting slightly as I drove. The skies were overcast and dreary. Would the sun make its appearance known?

choc-pound-cake-thumbDad had several plastic grocery bags filled with goodies when I arrived.  It soothed this old ailing soul and heart when I sat back down in my den and savored a couple of oatmeal cookies with a cold regular or what we call a cold leaded Coca-Cola.  I was in blissful heaven!  Oatmeal is my favorite cookie by far.

Dad had given me my regular allotment of 6 diet Sunkist, 2 turkey sandwiches, a box of oatmeal cookies, 2 slices of chocolate pound cake, and 4 regular Coca-Colas he knew I would enjoy.  It completely lifted my spirits and I feel fine now and upbeat. I’ve had my fix for the day.

Photo credit:  http://cookingontheside.com/chocolate-chip-oatmeal-cookies/

http://jensfavoritecookies.com/2013/04/19/chocolate-pound-cake/

No comments: