Tuesday, August 11, 2015

And a Drop of Water Drips Off His Nose…

IMG_0120-e1408625023936Soaking wet, I unloaded my groceries tonight.  Maggie sat in the lit window watching me no doubt amused. Silly humans!!! Water to Maggie is like holy water to a vampire. I unloaded the heaviest items first which was five gallons of Milo’s sweet tea and then began unloading the frozen stuff. All the while, the rain fell at a rapid rate as I scurried inside and out trying not to get soaked.

I impulse bought as far as my shopping went tonight. I was starving when I began shopping and completely lost focus.  I didn’t stick with my plan of procuring mainly Asian food.  I just stuck in my cart what looked interesting and tasty tonight which resulted in a hodge podge of a shopping cart.  Chili's has a new line of frozen meals and I got mostly those as far as main entrees were concerned. If the meals weren’t very good, then I would be shit out of luck having not tried them before.

Unsure of the price, I gulped deeply as I was being checked out. I was in uncharted waters with those meals and their prices. I spent almost $83 dollars exactly – a far cry from the $60 I spent last week. Old fuss and feathers didn’t say a word much to my relief. 

A Call of Good Omen…

p_IMGP4332[9]My father called me as soon as I had gotten my groceries squared away. A pop of lightning made me jump as I answered the phone.

“You do so much better than you used to do,” my father told me appraisingly. “Five years ago you would have gone to the grocery store looking like a homeless man. You keep yourself looking so handsome and neat now.”

Having womenfolk you like around you tends to do that.

“A few years ago mom was buying my groceries because I couldn't go out of the house due to my social anxieties and panic attacks,” I reminded my father.

“I am going to have to lean on you for the next week about our cars,” dad said. “All our cars are going to get a tune-up and inspection for needed things to be done. I am going to have to rely on you to help me get all these cars around and to the shop. The BMW will have to go to Columbus.”

“Sure dad, I would be glad to help,” I replied to my father. “I need to get the air filter changed on my engine and I need new windshield wipers.”

“Start making a list…” my father told me.

Historically, my father would consider myself to be too unreliable to help in such an endeavor. He would get Charlie to help him despite all that Charlie's got on his plate. This is just a sign of how things have vastly changed around here with regards to my father’s relationship and mine.

1 comment:

amelia said...

Very well done for making such HUGE changes in your life!