Saturday, August 08, 2015

To Be a Kind and Gentle Friend…

One of my opinions I’ve always held about “The Homeless Guy” is that the reason he doesn’t have any friends is that he imposes upon them and always takes and never gives back.  I see this reflected in myself as well. My cup doesn’t exactly runneth over in the friends department.

Well, now I have a friend.  She’s homebound most days since she doesn’t drive and doesn’t have a car.  The selfish side of me dreads dressing up, driving to Lagrange, and finding the restaurant and paying for a meal of ours.  This is were I should strongly hit the brakes and think of my friend’s needs instead of my own.  It is “The Homeless Guy’s” and my greatest Achilles heel when it comes to relationships.  “What can I do to make your life more enjoyable and fun?” Is what I should be asking my friend. 

So, today we have our second try of Laura’s and my trip to The Fried Tomato.  I will don some nice clothes, drive 25 miles, and take her out to eat. Not because I want to. I am perfectly happy sitting at home, but because a friend of mine would very much enjoy the experience.  

No comments: