Friday, August 07, 2015

Finally, Helen’s Macaroni and Cheese Recipe…

Helen finally reneged and gave me her Mac and Cheese recipe.  This is how dad’s mom made macaroni and cheese as well.  I always remember my grandmother’s recipe to be very peppery so if you are adventurous you could try that some time.

Ingredients:
1 heaping tablespoon unsalted butter
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups elbow macaroni
2 to 3 cups of grated extra-sharp or sharp Cheddar
2 cups whole milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch ovenproof casserole dish.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook until tender (a little more than al dente), about 12 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, cheese, milk and eggs. Add some salt and pepper. Transfer to the prepared dish.
Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

2 comments:

Jan said...

What timing! I just got my mother's recipe yesterday and it's pretty much the same except my mom sprinkles bread crumbs on top...

There goes my diet! I think I'll make a double recipe so I can share.

Jan

Tee said...

Thanks!