Saturday, August 15, 2015

I Was Once Homeless, Too…

eded7cd614026d931bc5e629faf75eae“How’s it going, man?” I asked the homeless guy digging in the trashcan outside of the Circle K tonight.

He quickly popped his head up out of the trashcan and looked my way as I was walking by.

“Hey, you ain’t got five bucks I can borrow?” he asked with a toothless grin.

“You hungry and thirsty?” I asked changing the subject very quickly and he said yes.

I fixed two sodas (Mountain Dew Raspberry Volts) at the soda counter and grabbed a couple of egg salad sandwiches out of the cooler.  I paid and walked outside and gave the man the sandwiches and a ice cold 32oz soda.  I was hoping he could get a good buzz off the caffeine in that caffeine overladen drink.

“Bless you,” he told me as he very clumsily and vigorously shook my hand.

“Just keeping the faith,” I replied as I got in my car and headed to home.

A luxury that poor soul will not have tonight. He was sitting over the no loitering sign as he began to eat his sandwiches and I pulled out of the parking lot.  I chuckled at the irony.

I always said and joked when I was homeless that salvation would be a pretty lady delivering a big bag of double cheeseburgers and a case of Natural Light Ice beer. It would’ve been a homeless man’s party and wet dream come true. 

Photo Credit:   https://www.pinterest.com/explore/pret-a-manger/

No comments: