Saturday, August 08, 2015

Coming From a A+ Certified Computer Fanatic…

Windows-10-Preview-Start-Menu-Look-and-Features-460698-2Okay, so I did a little test overnight.  I had a spare ASUS Z97 Pro motherboard and a spare Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz socket 1150 processor. I also used 8 GB of G.Skill 2400 MHz RAM.  I hooked it all up sprawled on my kitchen table connected to a spare ACER 27” monitor.  My main goal was to test out Windows 10 without having to install it on my gaming, blogging/browsing, or retro-gaming computers.  (It was also lots of fun!)

Well, everything installed without a hitch.  The install was from a burned torrented Windows 10 DVD stolen from Kickasstorrentz.com.  I didn’t have any problems and it was fast as well being installed on a spare solid state drive (Samsung 250 GB 850 EVO SSD). It was probably one of the fastest Windows installs I’ve ever experienced. They’ve really streamlined the process.

My final verdict?  Windows 10 Pro is not worth your time if you are running Windows 7. It is only marginally better than Windows 8.1 Pro. As far as aesthetics go, the color scheme is horrid in my opinion.  In this version they’ve tried to balance desktop and tablet versatility while trying to lean more towards the desktop computer look and feel. I would say update if you are on Windows 8 or 8.1.  Windows 7 users?  You are fine just where you are. You’ll sorely miss the Aero interface of Windows 7 if you switch.

Now, to go stuff and secure all these parts into a spare case sitting in the computer room and I have a new multipurpose computer to toy with.

No comments: