Monday, October 19, 2015

Martha Told Me How Chilly it Was Over at My Parent’s House…

IMG_3512It is a very chilly day here in the Deep South.  The temperature never climbed above 70° here.

“I think there is something wrong with my heater,” my mother continued.

So I jumped in the car, drove over, and the pilot light on their central heating and air was blown out.  Moments later and I had warm air blowing out their vents after egressing from their basement.

“Thank you sweetheart!” my mother exclaimed to me as I got in my car to drive home.

Dad had to work today and my mother can be kind of aloof about such matters. The Secretary was about to schedule a possibly expensive appointment.

Oh, you need a new thermocouple,” I can hear the repairman telling my mother hook, line, and sinker.

It is unscrupulous, but it does happen.

Photo Credit:  http://mcadamsplumbing.com/services/water-heaters/water-heater-repair/

2 comments:

glittermom said...

Sounds like their furnace is pretty old....they don't even have pilot lights that stay on...my furnace is 15 hrs old and it doesn't have a pilot light...

Daniel said...

Thankfully I grew up in a house where my dad just fixed everything and he taught me how to do the same. In the last 10 years I have saved us from buying several new appliances and getting a plumber in. You can really save significant amounts of money by just learning to do a few things on your own.

Ambrose @ Brown & Reaves Services, Inc.