Monday, January 18, 2016

Two Meal Avenues...

A lunch special from Rodger's a few years ago.
Dad called me back a moment ago after he had arrived home.

"Let me go over to Roger's Barbecue or Merl's Diner and start you a tab so you can eat lunch there every day and it will be paid for," he said. "If you are worried about having enough money for a tip then just get it to-go."

"I would rather have all that money you will be spending to get computer parts," I replied.

"You are computer obsessed!" my father replied with a hearty laugh. "You are incorrigible!"

"Dad, I appreciate it, but you and I both know I won't drive over there and get it because it embarrasses me -- my father having to pay for a grown man's meals."

"I wish you would give it a chance," he said. "You won't have to cook anymore.  You would have tea and lunch every day."

"Okay, I will give it a try," I told my father finally acquiescing under much coercion. "I would prefer Merl's Diner because it is just down the street and I won't be putting lots of miles on my car."

"I will give them enough money so you can get lunch every day except Sunday. I would just give you the cash, but it would worry me that it would be too tempting addiction wise and I don't want you to spend that money on something else."

2 comments:

glittermom said...

How does this affect grocery day? You would still need stuff,no one can get by on one meal a day...I don't understand why your father suggested this.. Seems strange.

Andrew said...

Glittermom, we've tried this before with Roger's Barbecue. I used to eat lunch there every day. Dad sees what I buy at the grocery store so he knows I am getting good food. He hates me cooking, though, for some strange reason -- says I will get food poisoning. He has been talking about doing this for weeks, but I just haven't been writing about it on the blog. He assures me I will be able to get my $65 a week in groceries.