Saturday, January 02, 2016

Beautiful Day in the Southland...

It is a deceptively beautiful and cold day in the Southland.  It is supposed to get down below freezing tonight and that doesn't happen too often around here. 30°F?  0°C?  Northerners, don't laugh.  I usually have very reasonable utility bills, but days like today make you say to hell with it.  I am turning up the heat. It was 74° in here and I was freezing.

Disability Is Not Welfare...



Laura and I were talking on the phone this morning.

"You need a steady income pronto," I told her earnestly.

She already gets $250 a month in food stamps or so she says.

Not having an income makes her reliant upon all these guys she has dated over the years. She moves in and then all these guys get frustrated, feeling she is a mooch.  She says she can't work due to her autism.  She has been trying to get disability.  She says her parents have even hired a lawyer.

"You need to get a different lawyer -- a diligent lawyer that will fight for you right to get disability," I told Laura with an air of urgency.

image credit:  http://www.pocketfullofliberty.com/top-five-myths-food-stamps/

5 comments:

glittermom said...

Does she live with her parents? How old is she? Is she Austistic or Asperger's syndrome?

Andrew said...

Glittermom, she says she is autistic. Yes, she lives with her parents. Laura is 42 years old.

glittermom said...

How's your coffee consumption lately after your 10cup binge? ☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️ And you haven't gotten pizza for a while have you? I just saw a pizza commercial on tv and thought of you....LOL

Unknown said...

I guess that's why she hasn't texted me

Anonymous said...

I remember these! And stores gave you "Food Stamp Change" that worked only in their store. I started hanging around in SF around then. I think it was 1974?