Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Somber Occassions...

My Aunt Pamela from Tupelo, Mississippi is in town for a funeral.  She is my favorite aunt and we have lots in common -- old battle stories to tell when it comes to our process of recovery from certain addictions like smoking and alcohol.  She definitely inherited the addiction gene as well.  She is still as gorgeous as ever these days and definitely doesn't show her age. We went to Milano's Italian grill and bar at my request for lunch.  I got the eggplant parmigiana and it was delicious as ever. Pam got the fettuccine alfredo and had nothing but praise for it as well. We talked a long time -- getting caught up on each other's lives.   .

The funeral was for a friend of the family's named Julia.  She hosted the Catholic lady's luncheon every Monday that my mother attended for years.  My uncle calls her his second mother and was hit especially hard about her death. He stayed with my parent's last night.  She was 90 years old and smoked for nearly 80 of those years.  Dad remarked about how amazing it was last night.

"She definitely bucked the trend," my father said last night.

The cause of death was listed as old age (infirmity?) mom said.

I didn't attend the funeral this afternoon -- my social anxieties getting the best of me.  There would be tons of people there that I haven't seen in years so I didn't put myself through all that.  I know I will regret it tomorrow as I always do.

No comments: