Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Thine is a Good Store Piggly Wiggly...


Well, I just made my milk run.  I got two gallons of whole milk.  I was also looking for some Penrose pickled sausages and the Pig had them. You can't get that at Kroger. That got thrown in my basket along with a loaf of really fresh bread I should have gotten last night.  It grows increasingly harder to find really fresh bread at Kroger and they, the loafs, are so laden with chemicals to preserve them longer that you can taste it. At least, I can taste the chemicals in the bread. Anti-mold, anti-fungal, etc.

Mrs. Linda has worked for the Pig for twenty years as a cashier.  She worked there when I worked in produce.  She checked me out today, but didn't recognize me since it has been so many years and I was very overweight when I worked there.  That was when my father first took control of my disability money so I went out and got a job to pay for my beer.  I worked there for several months until I quit under coercion from my father who feared I was going to lose my disability. He enticed me by saying I could have one six-pack of ice-beer a night to drink.

Fighting Off the Horde...

I came home to a crew of workers cleaning up my neighbor's yard.  Maggie is barking her fool head off and it is driving me crazy.  If I go outside to try and get her, she barks even louder trying to protect me from these evil yardmen that are going to eat us and take our possessions.

8 comments:

glittermom said...

Why not shop at the piggy instead of Kroger?

Andrew said...

Dad likes the Kroger Fuel points and the Piggly Wiggly closes at 10 pm.

glittermom said...

We have all different grocery stores up here...

Unknown said...

The first time I ever saw a Piggly Wiggly I stopped and laughed so hard I was almost crying. I could not for the life of me imagine naming a store Piggly anything..(Silly Canadian..eh? ) Since you love bread so much ( I do too) why dont you think about buying yourself a breadmaker? You could even pick up a used one from Craiglist? for about 25 dollars. I love mine. It becomes an obsession to create new breads, my current favorite is a rosemary garlic olive oil bread. I love fresh plain bread. My breadmaker has a timer so I can set it up and wake up to fresh baked bread. The best part is that its almost fool proof. You measure in flour, water, powdered mild, salt yeast, push a button and 3 hours later there is a fresh loaf of bread! Its almost magical.

glittermom said...

Does anyone remember the bakery truck that came down the street selling baked goods? Long time ago....and the milk truck...

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Your father offered to allow you a six pack of ice beer a night?!? What happened to that offer?

PipeTobacco

Beth said...

Ditto, Sandra sprigs. I saw my first Pig in Minnesota as a child and did not live in a town that had them until I moved to Birmingham, AL. The Pig had a great deli! But also is more expensive than the big grocery chains. And ditto to the bread maker. I love mine and if I used it as much as I would like, I'd weigh a lot more than I do...but just two of us are in our house, and we don't eat a lot of bread anymore.

marty044 said...

Curious, since Penrose discontinued the hot sausages in a jar a few years ago (2010 I think?) how were you able to find it still on the shelve 2016??? I love those sausages!!!