Monday, January 04, 2016

Grin and Bear it, Johnny Otis!

Well, the damage to my disability account came to $74 dollars.  Although not unusual, it is more than my father likes for me to spend. The $8 dollar canister of Maxwell House coffee pushed me to the limit. Coffee is expensive!

"It all comes out in the wash," my father told me nonchalantly as we both walked out into the freezing cold to our cars. "I've seen you only spend $49 dollars that one time."

It was freezing tonight it was so cold.  My hands were completely numb as I loaded up my car in Kroger's parking lot. The stiff northern wind was icy and biting cold. It is supposed to get down to 24°F tonight. I bantered to my father that any good northerner would have a nice pair of gloves, a scarf, and a wool cap in weather such as this.

I was climbing into my car after loading up my groceries when dad motioned for me to walk around the Beemer to talk to him.

"It probably was a good thing you spent so much," he said making me feel better. "Helen's husband is having seizures again and she is going to be off for another week.  You are not going to have Helen's cooking this week."

I was downtrodden, but Helen's husband's health is more important.  I've met him once and he seemed like a class act kind of guy -- very down to earth.

image credit:  http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Maxwell_House

No comments: