Saturday, January 30, 2016

This is Where the Fun Begins...

In addition to the mac and cheese and meatloaf yesterday, we had buttery creamed potatoes, turnip greens, and earthy mashed rutabagas.  A total soul food extravaganza!

I just ate my savory lunch and was overjoyed when Helen liberally sprinkled hot pepper sauce all over my turnip greens and the rutabagas. Vinegary and spicy! Just the way I like them.

"I hope you like deviled eggs," dad told me a little while ago over our phones. "Your mother is sending you six of them. I am also sending you some of Charlie's chocolate pie he cooked for your brother's birthday last night. It is divine!"

"Bring it on!" I said excitedly as my father laughed.

"It is amazing we are all not 300 pounds the way we eat," my father replied as his tone turned to seriousness.

Maggie knew something was up as soon as I locked the front door after arriving home from my parent's house and headed to the kitchen with two big Tupperware containers of food and another sack of assorted goodies. Maggie was right behind me. She started to beg like crazy so I gave her a big slice of meatloaf which she relished and almost literally inhaled in hungry dog fashion.

"Maggie, you didn't even give the food time to taste it!"

image credit:  http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/mashed-rutabagas/

No comments: