Monday, March 07, 2016

A Train Kind of Day...

It was gorgeous here today. I woke up at lunch and couldn't go back to sleep. I dressed, donned my backpack, and headed down to the tracks. I had already heard several trains roar through downtown as I lay in the bed.

I saw something today that I have never seen in the countless hours I have hung out down at the tracks. I saw a string of about 15 locomotives rolling through downtown. Some were my favorite locomotive. The GP38-2.  The GP stands for general purpose.  The 38 stands for 3800 horsepower. And the dash 2 stands for improved electronics. I think they were going to be scrapped or traded in on newer locomotives. It is rare to see a GP38-2 these days. They are getting to be almost 30 to 35 years old.

I also saw some Southern Pacific locomotives that must be on a lease program. That was neat to see such locomotives so far from home.

You know what I can't understand? Is the nomenclature of these newer locomotives. I can't tell them apart. They all look the same to me. They all have that same flared radiator.

I always like to bring a snack with me when I am down at the tracks. I ate both cans of potted meat I had along with some saltines and spread it with a plastic knife. It was delicious. My grandmother always called potted meat and crackers fishin' food.

The weather just gets even more gorgeous as the week goes by. They say we will be up to 80° degrees by the end of the week. My lawn is already greening up.



image credit: http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr1638.htm
imgae credit: http://www.sogoodblog.com/2008/08/06/i-try-it-so-you-dont-have-to-potted-meat/

1 comment:

Gin said...

YES! Potted meat 'n soda crackers for fishin' trips! Or we'd have Spam or Beanie Weenies. Used to do that all the time. Hadn't thought about that in years! Thanks for stirring the memories.