Friday, March 04, 2016

Of Birthdays, Unlocked Cars, and Dinner Party's...


I was just laying in the bed at 4:15 pm when the phone rang one time. That means it is my mother calling. Three times means it is my father. Maggie ran to the phone as she jumped off the bed. My phone phobias are just one of the final vestiges of my mental illness that I just can't shake lately. They've been acute and reoccurring.  Laura finally quit calling me as I wouldn't answer the phone.

"Your daddy needs you to come over and take your medications. We are going down to your brother's house tonight for Olivia's birthday party," mom said.

Olivia is my niece. She is 8 years old today. She is the sweetest child.

Well, I quickly dressed and headed over to Casa de Parent's. Charlie's wife was also over there fixing the napkins for the dinner party. I stuck my head into the dining room to say hello.

"I forgot to lock my car last night," I told my parents. "Someone had changed my seat height and moved it very forward, but the key was inside my house. Must've been a short little fellow. I wonder if it was that same SOB that stole it Christmas Day all those years ago?"

Mom and dad both chastised me for leaving my car unlocked. It was just simple forgetfulness on my part.

I used to never take my key out of my car fearing I would lose it, but I lost my whole car! LOL Wasn't that a terrible thing to happen on Christmas day? Whew! It was a hard lesson to learn. What happened to the Old South where you could leave your house key under the front doormat and your car key above your sun visor?

It was nice getting my medications so early, although I will regret it tomorrow unless dad gives them early again like he hinted at. This weekend is the grand Downton Abbey dinner party.

image credit: http://jaidendesigns.com/design/dinner-party-decorating-ideas

1 comment:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

I tried to reply the other day, but it would not post for some reason. I am sorry you felt confused about my comment about your dad and the Swisher Sweets. I am sincerely happy he is giving them to you. My surprise was due to what I thought was his earlier intent... to have you quit smoking. I thought that was his goal in giving you $100 a month of your SSDI for computer stuff. I had thought you said he was doing that only if you did not use tobacco.

Again, I am sorry for the confusion. I must have misunderstood. I am glad he is allowing you this comfort.

PipeTobacco