Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Deer Graveyard...

https://meetmythamerica.wordpress.com/page/5/

I saw three dead deer on my travels down the tracks this afternoon. Are they drawn to the lights of a passing locomotive and jump? There are lots of videos on YouTube of deer getting hit by a train when I looked a moment ago much to my surprise. It's a macabre subject. It seems they just completely ignore the train and WHAM! Often swallowed under the cowcatcher on the front of a locomotive.

I was ever cognizant of Bulls today which is the trains rider's and Hobo's word for railroad police. I had seen one rail truck pass earlier. There is a lot of activity behind that old cotton mill and I also saw another railfan taking photos of the action. He waved at me when he saw me take a photo. He wasn't as adventurous as I, though, preferring to stay on the road by the water treatment plant. He was worried about Bulls, no doubt, as well. They will write you a ticket and take you to jail for trespassing on railroad property. I can't imagine my mother driving to Atlanta to pick me up.

"Uh, Charlie?" LOL "I was taking pictures of dead deer and got arrested."

I can only imagine Charlie's reaction to those words.

An Aside: I never get comments these days so 3 comments on one post must mean trouble.

1 comment:

Summer said...

How far on either side of the tracks is considered railroad property?