Monday, February 22, 2016

Candid Conversations...

An old friend of mine called me last night and we got on the subject of addictions. We both have what we called was an addictive mindset.

"What made you drink?" he asked me. "Come on. You can be honest with me."

We both know each other's history and even went to DUI school together one time. How's that for coincidence?

"I was a miserable old wretch back then and it made me feel better," I told him. "It was a sheer reprieve from misery and mental illness. Time also seemed to fly when I was drinking. Everything seemed more enjoyable. The computer, music, and beer seemed made for each other."

"I drank for some of the same reasons," Chad told me. "And then I got hooked and couldn't quit. I loved to drive out country roads with a twelve pack of beer. I would tune the radio to some country music and have a grand time as I rode out Smedley road."

I told him I am kind of besieged with substance abusing parents at the moment, and they wonder where I get it from. I told him I got the worst of them both as far as my genes are concerned when my gene selection process was going on when I was conceived.

No comments: