Monday, February 08, 2016

Gearing Up For Grocery Day...


The weeks just seem to fly by the older I get. It seems like yesterday I was ruminating about my trip to the grocery store last week. Today, I am very hungry and ready to go shopping -- my stomach grumbling for something good to eat. I've got two hours to wait. I can't wait to get more of that chocolate pudding.  It is on sale for 10 for $10 this week. I also scrambled four of my last eggs for Maggie's and my breakfast this morning so the cupboards are looking pretty bare. My bread for sandwiches has grown stale as well.

Last week's spaghetti and meat sauce was okay, but I am still tweaking my recipe.  I browned 2lbs of ground chuck, added two large cans of Hunt's tomato sauce, and two cans of Hunt's Italian tomato paste.  It was lacking something like Prego and a little bit of sweetness.  We will add Prego tonight and see if that tastes better.

Life has been pretty routine and boring around here which makes for terribly boring blogging as well. Charlie and my father surprised my mother and I and got everyone fancy burritos from Taco Hell last night for our Sunday supper. It was mighty tasty and a nice change of pace. Mom and I both expressed a keen interest in Captain D's for next Sunday. Us beggars are trying to be choosers. I would gladly pay for my own meal if my father were to let me.

I never got my sodas for yesterday and it alarmed my parents. My mother also noticed how quiet I've been lately. She called me tonight, worried. They think every deviation from the norm is my mental illness acting up.  I just drove over and I now have 12 diet Cokes to drink for the evening. I will get six more in the morning to add to my windfall of sodas. Sometimes it is good to have too much of a good thing.

image credit: http://www.nationaldaycalendar.com/2015/06/25/june-26-2015-national-chocolate-pudding-day-national-beauticians-day/

2 comments:

skinny minny said...

might try adding some diced onions sweated and some garlic to the mix there...maybe some bell peppers too...

Rita said...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/spaghetti-sauce.html

The internet is full of recipes. Pioneer Woman has a blog I have been reading for years and now a cooking show. I googled spaghetti sauce and came up with a post with a video about making spaghetti sauce. Her sauce calls for 5 pounds of ground round, because she often cooks for a crowd. I was looking at the spices and seasonings she uses in her sauce.

Skinny Minny suggested onions and garlic. They would improve the flavor of your sauce, and some spices would as well.