Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Dish or Country? Chili or Chile?

Dad called me last hour and invited me over for supper. I walked into their back door and the kitchen smelled absolutely wonderful. Dad was putting large bowls of chili out on the table. Each bowl of chili had a dollop of sour cream and an ample sprinkle of Cheddar on top. Dad's like me and we don't like beans in our chili. See Jenn? That's where I get it from.

"Martha?!" dad said loudly from the kitchen. "It is time to eat!"

You could hear a toilet flush down the hall.

Dad then pulled some Mexican cornbread out of the oven as a reminder chimed.  I could see corn, pimento, queso, and green chilies as he sliced it. The anticipation was mounting.

"I really shouldn't be doing this," I told my father guiltily after gulping down another delectably delicious swallow of food.

"Why?" he asked worriedly.

"It is too close to time for my medications and this gets me off my routine. I don't want to have too much in my stomach when you come over."

Dad said he would wait, give me time, and be over around nine. I profusely thanked my father for inviting me over tonight. It was a delicious meal and it was some welcomed family time. My father is quite the esteemed maestro in the kitchen these days.

Computer Conundrums...

My newly built "ghetto" computer as I call it will run all day reliably and under stress with the ram set to 1600 Mhz.  It is supposed to be running at 2400 Mhz and it is driving me crazy as I will set the ram to 2400 Mhz and the computer will crash. I can't even get into the BIOS to manually adjust the speed. I have tried just about everything to get this 16 GB of G.Skill ram working. Where there is a will and a way, I will figure this out eventually. Time to hit some reliable computer forums and find out the answer.

3 comments:

glittermom said...

I believe beans in chili is more of a northern thing...I personally never heard of chile without beans...we even make a 7 bean chili...

Annabel said...

Agreed - beans don't belong in chili. I ordered one of the new fresh mex bowls from Chili's tonight and had them hold the beans. They taste like dirt to me. I like my chili with rice.

glittermom said...

The more beans the better for me...I like chili over mashed potatoes...