Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Intimacy Revealed...

I drove up to La Grange to get Laura Valentine's day. I grew more nervous with every mile that passed. I really am not good with this sort of matter. She met me at the door while I was holding a heart-shaped box of Whitman's chocolate and a card. On the card, I wrote, "I care about you very much and consider you a very good friend. Happy Valentines! You're Special!" She appreciated the sentiment and gave me a very heartfelt hug.

"You kids have a good time," Laura's mother told us.

I smiled -- thanking Laura's mother.

"I am 42 years old momma!" Laura replied with a huff.

Undeterred, she asked me what was my ex-wife's favorite restaurant in Newnan, Georgia. I had talked about it before to her and said we were going sometime soon.

"Ah, you're speaking of Fire Dragon. It is a Thai and Malaysian food restaurant."

It was another 30-minute drive up the interstate to Newnan towards Atlanta. I had to help Laura order as the food listed sounded kind of ambiguous and Laura wasn't familiar with Thai food. I ordered us both the Beef Khao Soi with pickled cabbage. A dish I was familiar with. Our food was hot and delicious. Laura was thrilled to have something culinarily "different".

On the drive back to Laura's house, she grabbed my hand and held it for the rest of the way. I blushed and said, "That felt nice".

Laura insisted on paying for our meal.

"You're my Valentine's today," she said. "I am treating you!"

It embarrassed me when it was time to pay and Laura reached down her chest and pulled two twenty dollar bills out of her bra to pay for our meal.  I've seen Helen do that as well.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Well....a woman's bra sometimes doubles as her wallet. I'd be embarrassed too. At the end of the day, she cares about you and wanted to show it by treating you. That's a nice thing. Maybe for her birthday you could buy her a wallet :)