Tuesday, November 24, 2015

I Smell Something Good! Is that Coffee in the Kitchen?

k2-_57d911c3-5336-4026-a175-ba6123f9d371.v2Lot’s of good things are brewing this early morning.  I drove down to Wal-Mart and this Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer was on sell for $49.99 – 10% off its regular price.  I am sure my father may bitch about the charge or he may not.  Dad is such a wildcard.  I thought it was a fantastic deal.  I charged that out of my inheritance money account.

My favorite coffee is Maxwell House so I picked up some of that, and then went shopping for breakfast foods.  I bought ample amounts of my favorite kinds of sausage and bacon. I then bought 4 cartons of ex-large eggs.  My last 2 items were cheddar cheese and frozen biscuits (dad’s mom is rolling in her grave). Those all got debited out of my disability money account.

There was one older woman behind me in line for checkout and she sighed very ostentatiously loudly and brusquely when I told the cashier there were two separate charges.  I gave that old woman the glare of doom and demise and quickly checked out with the clerk’s help. It took ten minutes at the most for me to be headed out the door.

The Witching Hour…

Stir Fried Cabbage with Ground Beef WMAbout midnight, I got in the kitchen and cooked a batch of mom’s Beef Chow Mein.  It turned out perfect and I wrote down the recipe so I wouldn’t forget it.  I like much more soy sauce in mine than what my mother’s recipe called for. 

My recipe also calls for an extra half of the cabbage mom uses.  You get more bang for your buck so to speak and cabbage is a lot cheaper than ground chuck. It works out really good if you’re a cabbage lover like me. 

Helen would serve her cabbage steamed until wilted with a hot pepper sauce poured on top.

Photo Credit: http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2009/11/stir-fried-cabbage-with-ground-beef.html#axzz3sPJHzWih

1 comment:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

You should try a heavy, dark roast bean like you can buy from Starbucks (online) such as their Italian roast! It takes beautifully robust and rich, and packs a pleasantly large punch as well! Very well worth sampling with your new coffee maker.

PipeTobacco