Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Johnny Otis’s Lament…

07-13mushearingaid_irisdement

A very early arrival tonight as Johnny Otis pulled up front of my house and Maggie went bananas. It was a very fortuitous 8:30pm. Dad likes it when Maggie’s joyous barking at the front door gets all the dogs barking in the neighborhood. 

Dad was having me play gospel, bluegrass, and old folk tunes tonight.  We first listened to May the Circle Go Unbroken.  

“Momma always loved that song,” my father told me.

“These are all funeral hymns,” I told him. “You’re not about to kick the bucket soon, are you?”

Dad laughed as he handed me my handful of medications.

“I just think it is beautiful music from an era long passed,” he said. “Play that Iris DeMent song I dedicated to you.”

I have to agree with my father that I do like that song, Let the Mystery Be. I love Iris’s voice and her brazen candor about religion in that tune!

Photo Credit:  https://isoas.wordpress.com/category/iris-dement/

No comments: