Monday, November 30, 2015

Snack Attack…

goodlie5Mom called me about 1am.  Mom and I have this affliction called the midnight snack attack. She knows I stay up all night as well.

“Charlie brought by several pie samplers.  Would you like one?” mom asked me. “They have a big slice of chocolate, sweet potato, lemon merengue, pumpkin, egg custard, and pecan pie.”

“Goddamn, don’t y’all ever sleep?” I could hear my father say in the background.

OMG!  My heart leapt up in my throat at that prospect.  That sounded like a slice of heaven indeed. Pun intended.  No one loves a piece of pie more than Charlie does.  I am right behind him at a close second. I felt like I had won the Georgia lottery.

I drove over and got the very heavy box and brought it home.  I just savored one of the best pieces of chocolate pie I have eaten in a long time.  What’s next? I think I will eat a piece of the pumpkin in a little while. It certainly gives more meaning to the term pie hole as in shut yer pie hole..

Photo Credit:  http://81brut.com/2014/09/22/work-trippin-heart-tennessee/

Good God it’s Grocery Day…

spaghettiSauce

Yay! It is grocery day! And guess what?  I am up to my same old antics. Actually, buying groceries is one of the more unsavory and laborious things I do every week, but lately, these past few weeks, I have been rearing to go.

Like a broken record, I am getting the fixins for my spaghetti and meat sauce.  I tell ya, I am fueled by spaghetti and chow mein noodles these days.  I am going to try a differrent recipe, though.  I am going to add two cans of Hunt’s tomato sauce this time.  I will also add two cans of Del Monte diced tomatoes with onions and green peppers. I am debating on whether or not to add a small can of Italian style tomato paste. Mom always added a few bay leaves to her sauce and I may pick up some tonight and try them.  She also added Broiled in Butter mushrooms to her sauce occasionally and that would be neat to try.

I found a new way of eating my Pop Tarts and milk last week.  I loosely crumbled up the Pop Tart in a glass of milk and enjoyed it!  It really is delicious.  You eat it with a spoon just like cereal. Add two Pop Tarts and it is even better. That’s the thing I look forward to most this grocery day.  You know me. I love my sweets. It is amazing I don’t weigh 300 pounds like Kevin “the homeless guy”.

Next week, I have decided to prepare Janice’s, Charlie’s wife’s, vegetable beef soup for a much needed change in venue.  My father is going to write it down for me. I think I put it on the blog a long time ago.  I can’t find my index card where I had it written down.

Do you crumble up your cornbread into your soup before eating it?  Oh man, that is so delicious. A good dollop of Louisiana style hot sauce is delicious as well.

photo credit:  http://www.pinetarpress.com/batter-up-and-fry-tailgating-treats-spaghetti-with-meat-sauce/

No comments: