Monday, November 30, 2015

Can’t Live Without that Dew…

pudding-snack_pack-4pack-tapioca

First comes the medication ritual.  Dad and I sit on my sofa as my crazy meds are doled out to me.

“You ready, Chuck?” my father asked me after usually patting me on my knee..

We gave Maggie fresh food and water. 

“Let’s get this deed done,” I said as we walked out my front door to our cars,.

Dad and I were walking out of Kroger with my groceries when when I abruptly stopped at our cars.

“I forgot to get my two much coveted Mountain Dews,” I told my father desperately exasperated and fretting. “The two things I wanted the most out of tonight's shopping.”

I usually just allow myself two soft drinks a week now. We walked back inside and used the self check out line to buy them which was painless. I put $4 dollars in the money slot, it gave me my change, and we were on our way.

“I’ll see ya, son!” Dad said.

I watched as he drove off to the hinterland.  I only spent $59 dollars tonight so we were all happy campers. 

I got Maggie some real milk tapioca pudding to put her antibiotic in. I got eight packs. It worked like a charm when I got home and mixed up a capsule of amoxicillin in the pudding and she lapped it right up and wanted more. 

Earlier, Jermaine was returning a Redbox movie as I walked out and he talked to me for a few moments. Jermaine can make the mere mention of the weather turn into a five minute conversation.  My ex-girlfriend said they used to avoid him like the plague when she worked in the Kroger pharmacy.

Personally? I’ve grown to like Jermaine and always give him some time out of my day. I have a certain fondness for him now.  We’re the underdogs I call us – warriors on disability. And Jermaine always knows a good bargain like tonight.

“Seedless grapes are on sell at .99 cents a pound tonight,” he said to me as he sat on his motorized cart. “They were $2.99 a pound yesterday.

He said he ate quite a few when he was in the store to check for quality before buying.  I laughed even though it could be construed as theft. I even overheard two employees talking about Jermaine taking liberties with the grapes when I was grabbing my Pop-Tarts.

Photo Credit: http://www.speedygrocer.com/shop/pudding-snack-foods/pudding-snack-pack-tapioca-4ct/

No comments: