Friday, November 06, 2015

Quiet Fridays and Nice, Quiet Friday Nights…

turnip-rutabaga-420x240Both are good kinds of Fridays – the kind of Fridays meant for quiet introspection and rest. A recharging of the spirit if you will.   As was expected after my injection yesterday, I have felt drowsy and cat napped most of my day here away. I am just now stirring good and it is almost 7:30pm.

I don’t know what Helen cooked, but my cantankerous father is bringing me a plate of food around 9pm when he arrives for the medication ritual. That will be a nice and interesting surprise. I bet you a $1000 bucks we have are having boiled rutabagas as we haven’t had those in a week or two. That’s one of dad’s favorite vegetables.  Helen says they wreak havoc on her arthritic hands, though. 

Being the caveat of the night, we have thunderstorms building to our West and headed this way.  Dad and I both didn’t see that coming.  We have to keep the weather guessers guessing, don’t you know?  I just called him and told him to be careful driving over here in an hour or two.

Photo Credit:   http://farmersalmanac.com/food/2014/12/22/turnip-rutabaga/

3 comments:

Summer said...

What does a rutabaga taste like and how do you cook them?

Andrew said...

Summer, they are like turnips, but have a more earthy taste to them -- someone would consider them an acquired taste. Helen cooks hers my cutting it up into cubes and boiling for quite a bit. Then she will salt and pepper it.

Summer said...

Thank you!