Saturday, December 26, 2015

When Christmas Presents Go Awry...

No!


I sometimes forget how caffeine can adversely affect me.  I fixed a full pot of strong coffee last night. Innocently and absentmindedly, I began to drink coffee until I drank several mugs.  I got to feeling sick as a dog.  I got still and quiet in my Lazy-E-Boy in my attempts to fight off a panic attack.

I turned off all noise, shut down my computer, and waited until I could metabolize most of the caffeine.  I finally called my father, woke him up from a nap, and told him I needed my medications as soon as he could bring then.  Maggie and I got in the bed and just waited -- staying as quiet as possible. Soon, there was a knock upon my front door. It was Papa. Maggie flew off the bed in excitement.

"What have you done now?" my father asked scoldingly as he was walking into my house.

"I drank a whole pot of coffee and it triggered a panic attack," I replied.

"You drank ten cups?" my father asked astonished. "No wonder you feel sick."

"Don't rub it in!" I said weakly to my father as I took my medications. "You know I have trouble with moderation. I honestly didn't mean to drink so much."

We watched Queen Elizabeth's Christmas address on my computer and soon I was feeling much better as my medications began to take effect.

"You okay now?" my father asked putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, I am going to be okay," I replied. "I am going to bed after all of that."

image credit:  https://www.tumblr.com/search/giant%20coffee%20cup

2 comments:

glittermom said...

Your better off with the coffee maker that makes one cup at a time. Don't you have about 3 coffee makers...Charlie gave you one last Christmas,you bought one recently and now you got another one this Christmas..I think your dad was glad to buy a coffee pot instead of expensive computer parts..

Rita said...

I just read what glittermom wrote. I was thinking about making 10 cups of coffee and drinking it, as you wrote about earlier. There is no well on this earth I could drink 10 cups of coffee in a day and then sleep at night. 2 cups of coffee or two cups of anything caffeine and my sleep would be affected. I think that gets worse as we age, so get ready for that!

I love a good cup of coffee when it is fresh. Let it sit for any amount of time on the burner and no thank you. I make a pot, pour a cup of coffee, and turn the pot off. When I want another cup, and it might be tomorrow, I pour a cup and heat it in the microwave. It is still better than burnt coffee.

Merry Christmas!